COVID-19 causes a respiratory illness with fever and cough, may lead to severe pneumonia and is similar to the SARS and MERS coronaviruses.
Coronaviruses are part of a large family of viruses, which can sometimes cause lower-respiratory tract illnesses, such as pneumonia or bronchitis. Symptoms are similar to the flu and include runny nose, headache, cough, sore throat, fever and a general feeling of being unwell. This is more common in people with cardiopulmonary disease and people with weakened immune systems.
At this time, it is believed that the virus is easily transmitted through person-to-person contact, especially in group settings, and it is essential that we work to slow transmission to the greatest extent possible.
Fee-for-Service COVID-19 Testing Sites
View options below for private fee-for-service testing sites.
Fee-based testing centers(PDF, 109KB)
Free Testing sites Residents do NOT need to visit a doctor to obtain lab orders – lab orders are generated through the online screening tool at the private partners’ websites, as you answer a series of questions.
Free Community Testing
DISCLAIMER: The resources list is considered a partial reference list of known testing locations open to the public. The City of Fort Worth and Tarrant County cannot recommend any services, and other service providers may be available and not listed, because they have not notified the city or its partners.
Although there is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19, the best way to prevent infection is to take these precautions:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Additional prevention information
- Practice good personal health habits (English)(PDF, 718KB)
- Practique buenos hábitos de salud personal (Spanish)(PDF, 370KB)
- W(PDF, 71KB)here do I go for local information? (English)(PDF, 71KB)
- ¿A dónde voy para obtener información local? (Spanish)(PDF, 424KB)
- Travel-related or community spread? (English)(PDF, 474KB)
- Relacionado a viajes o difusión de la comunidad (Spanish)(PDF, 294KB)
- How to wear protective masks?(English)(PDF, 1MB)
- ¿Cómo ponernos la máscara?(Spanish)(PDF, 1MB)
- Clean Hand Signs (English)(PDF, 1MB)
- Signos de manos limpias (Spanish)(PDF, 239KB)
- Symptoms (English)(PDF, 4MB)
- Síntomas (Spanish)(PDF, 4MB)