Mobile Food Vendor

Though similar to restaurants, mobile food vendors must meet additional requirements to address potential hazards specific to mobile establishments. 


Violations found during the inspection are recorded as demerits and are separated into three groups. Priority Violations (3 demerits) – These violations are critical to ensuring the food served to the public is properly cooked and served in a safe and sanitary manner. Priority Foundation Violations (2 demerits) – These violations are critical to supporting the employee’s knowledge of procedures to provide safe food in a well equipped kitchen. Core Violations (1 demerit) – These violations are documented when the businesses are not maintaining their physical facilities and equipment to the minimum standards.

There is not a failing score. However, state law does indicate that when total demerits exceed 30, “the establishment shall initiate immediate corrective action on all identified critical violations and shall initiate corrective action on all other violations within 48 hours.”

It is important to remember that the scores here represent only a snapshot of the facility at the time the inspector arrived. The conditions could be better or worse while an inspector is not present.

Food Establishment Inspections

Mobile Vendor Brochure


How to Get Your Mobile Vendor Permit and Vendor Certificate of Occupancy

In person

Step 1.Determine the type of food being sold

  • The food is non-potentially hazardous (non-perishable) or potentially hazardous (perishable).
  • The Consumer Health Division will assist in that determination. 817-392-7255

Step 2.Check the zoning district

  • where the food is to be sold to make sure the type of food can be sold
  • Non-potentially hazardous = “E” Neighborhood Commercial and higher commercial and industrial districts
  • Potentially hazardous = “FR” General Commercial and higher commercial and industrial districts Check on the city’s zoning map, call 817-392-8028 or email

Step 3.Provide the proper documentation to the Health Dept. to receive your Mobile Vendor Permit.

  • Come to City Hall,  200 Texas St. Fort Worth, Texas 76102 
  • Apply for your Vendor Certificate of Occupancy (VCO).
  • A driver’s license and copy of the current registration for the vehicle is required.
  • A copy of the menu is requested.

Annual mobile food units fees

  • Annual Mobile Food Unit: $285
    • Per employee: $5
  • Annual Push Cart (serving open food): $285
    • Per employee: $5
  • Ice Cream Push Cart: $85
  • Seasonal Permit (15 to 180 days): $200


Food Handler Certificates (valid for two years)

Food Handler Certificates (valid for two years):

  • Classes taught at Consumer Health’s main office. $16
  • Classes taught at the facility by Consumer Health staff: $16
    No payment accepted on-site. Payment due in full at Consumer Health’s main office (price per certificate).
  • Taught by contract trainer with approved Food Handler curriculum: $12
  • Fort Worth online Food Handler class: $10
  • Fort Worth online Food Manager class: $85
  • Fort Worth online Food Manager test: $40
  • Food Manager reciprocal fee: $15