Fort Worth is committed to eliminating litter in our community. After all, littering and illegal dumping is a crime! The city is asking everyone to play an active role in eliminating litter through litter prevention, reduction and enforcement activities in Fort Worth - Stop It! Report It! Pick It Up!
Just one person, one business or one organization can positively affect the behavior of others.
The easiest way to tackle litter is at its source:
- Bag your garbage properly and keep the cart lids closed at all times.
- Set out yard trimmings and bulk items the correct way on the correct day.
- Use the four Drop-off Stations and Environmental Collection Center to dispose of excess trash.
- Use tarp to cover or properly tie down and secure loads when transporting loose items in the bed of a truck.
You are the solution to the problem! When you see litter:
- Report it on the MyFW app.
- Contact the Call Center at 817-392-1234.
- If you see a person littering from a vehicle, report it on the TxDOT Don’t Mess with Texas app.
PICK IT UP!
Litter is everyone’s responsibility! Volunteer with Keep Fort Worth Beautiful and join a citywide cleanup or organize your own!
To request free supplies, visit the KFWB page.
In 2017, Fort Worth piloted street sweeping efforts with two sweepers. The program sweeps approximately 7,000 lane miles annually, collecting 168 tons of litter, dirt and debris in efforts to create a cleaner, safer and more attractive city.
Additionally, Sweeping Corp. of America (SCA) crews have been contracted by the City of Fort Worth to work in collaboration with the City in focusing on cleaning major arterial roadways and business corridors each month.
This, with the addition of ten new street sweepers approved through the Environmental Protection Fund for Fiscal Year (FY) 23 will increase the City of Fort Worth's litter service capacity to create a more liveable city.
City staff will review service requests for neighborhood streets, where possible. Residents can submit a request via the MyFW mobile app or call the City Call Center at 817-392-1234.
All businesses and residents located along street sweeper routes can prepare for street sweeping days by:
- Removing garbage/recycling carts, vehicles, large debris, piles of leaves/branches, etc. from the curb on sweeping days.
- Sweep sidewalks and gather debris before street-sweeping days. Don’t sweep trash and debris into the street.
- Trim back branches near the street to prevent trees and equipment from being damaged.
- Bicyclists: ride carefully and be aware of sweeping activity near bike lanes.
- Drivers: give street sweepers plenty of room and only pass when safe to do so.
- Allow extra following distance when driving a vehicle behind a moving street sweeper.
- Use caution when passing a moving street sweeper.
All businesses and residents located along street sweeper routes should not:
- Follow a street sweeper closely. Airborne dust may make visibility difficult. Small rocks may get kicked up by the rotating brooms.
- Sweep or blow leaves into the street. Piles can clog gutters and drains and may result in flooding during heavy rains. Sweepers are also not designed to pick up large piles of leaves. (Piles also become road hazards).
- Ignore ‘No Parking’ signs posted for street sweeping days. You’re putting yourself at risk of being ticketed or towed!
SCA keeps streets, highways, construction sites, parking lots and industrial/manufacturing complexes clean, free of debris and compliant with EPA regulations.
The City of Fort Worth is in the process of developing its first Environmental Master Plan in support of the city's pursuit of improved environmental performance. This plan includes a litter control chapter focused on eliminating litter and illegal dumping throughout our community.
Environmental Master Plan - Ch. 6 Litter Control
Click to view the entire Environmental Master Plan.
View the A7 Tornado street sweeper here.
Litter Events and Initiatives