Dennis Shingleton was sworn in as a member of the City Council on July 12, 2011.
A graduate of Duquesne University with both bachelor and master of science degrees, Shingleton received his MBA from TCU.
After 32 years of service to his country, Shingleton retired from the Army as a Colonel. He was the Chief of Staff for the 807th Medical Brigade, and was responsible for the training, supervision and mobilization of 4,200 physicians and other medical support personnel.
Shingleton retired as the Senior Associate Dean for Finance and Administration at the University of North Texas Health Science Center’s Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine in Fort Worth after 25 years.
Shingleton began his Fort Worth public service career as a member of the City Plan Commission in early 2000. Prior to that appointment, he was the president of the Lake Country Property Owners Association and provided leadership to that group during the annexation of Lake Country into the City of Fort Worth in 1999.
He has also served in a number of other capacities with the city including:
- Former chair, Let’s Talk Fort Worth citizen response committee
- Former chair, Montgomery Street Advisory Committee
- Past chair, Fort Worth Committee on Annexation
- Fort Worth Mobility and Air Quality Committee
- Fort Worth Building Standards Commission
- Former Chair, Fort Worth City Plan Commission
As a Fort Worth City Councilmember, Shingleton is currently serving on several City committees and TIFs:
- Audit Committee
- Legislative Committee
- Fort Worth Housing Finance Corporation
- Local Development Corporation
- TIF 2 Speedway (Chair)
- TIF 9 Trinity River Vision (Chair)
- TIF 12 E. Berry Renaissance
In addition, Shingleton currently chairs the Lake Worth Regional Coordination Committee, as well as the Tarrant Regional Water District Wholesale Advisory Committee. Shingleton is currently serving on the NAS/JRB Regional Coordination Committee, the USS Fort Worth Committee, the executive committee of the Fort Worth Convention and Visitors Bureau Board of Directors, and the Lighthouse for the Blind Board of Directors. Shingleton has also been named to the Fort Worth Multipurpose Arena Board.
Shingleton and his wife, Cindy, have lived in Fort Worth for more than 23 years. They have three children and 11 grandchildren. He is also a longtime Marshall for the Dean & Deluca Invitational at Colonial, and is currently serving as an assistant chair of the tournament.
- Dennis Shingleton: 7/12/2011 to present
- Carter Burdette: 5/7/2005 to 7/12/2011
- John Stevenson: 5/3/2003 to 5/7/2005
- Jeff Wentworth: 5/3/1997 to 5/3/2003
- Bill Meadows: 5/5/1990 to 5/3/1997
- Steve Murrin: 7/12/1986 to 1/16/1990
- Richard C. Newkirk: 5/5/1975 to 3/15/1986
(First single member district election occurred on April 19, 1977)
- Pat Reece: 4/7/1971 to 5/5/1975
- Fred C. Rehfeldt: 4/9/1969 to 4/7/1971
- Frank G. Dunham Jr.: 4/24/1967 to 4/9/1969
- Jim Eagle: 4/6/1965 to 4/24/1967
- R. E. Harding, Jr.: 4/16/1963 to 4/6/1965
- Mrs. M. M. McKnight: 8/8/1956 to 4/2/1963
- M. M. McKnight: 4/5/1949 to 8/2/1956
- Orville E. Tunstill: 4/13/1938 to 4/5/1949
- Dr. D. M. Rumph: 4/7/1937 to 12/12/1938 (Elected)
- William Monnig: 4/7/1925 to 4/7/1937