GM Financial Parade of Lights reimagined for 2020
Published on October 08, 2020
On Nov. 22, the GM Financial Parade of Lights will be held for the 38th year in downtown Fort Worth. This year’s “Hope and Joy for the Holidays”-themed parade will look quite different due to the pandemic, taking place inside the Fort Worth Convention Center in front of a virtual audience and broadcast locally and on the Parade of Lights’ Facebook page.
The holiday spirit will continue over the next two days, Nov. 23-24, with the Downtown Showcase of Floats, where about 20 signature parade floats will be displayed along Main Street for in-person (but socially-distanced) photo opportunities, along with holiday music.
Prior to Nov. 22, downtown Fort Worth will host a virtual Holidays at Home float building contest, encouraging folks at home to construct their own illuminated floats and submit a video of their float online. Submission details will be available soon. A panel of judges will review all entries, and the best of the best will be featured in a video that will air during Sunday’s parade broadcast.
“Even during these trying times, we want to offer a beautiful, sparkling treat for the community,” said Eddie Broussard, chair of Downtown Fort Worth Initiatives Inc. (DFWII). “We’re proud that viewers can enjoy the GM Financial Parade of Lights at home via a fully-produced TV and online broadcast, while the new Downtown Showcase of Floats will allow families to take festive photos, listen to music and kick off the holiday season in downtown Fort Worth in a safe and socially-distanced way.”
“DFWII first produced the Parade of Lights to showcase the rich culture and community of downtown Fort Worth,” said Nina Petty, chair of DFWII’s Festivals and Events Committee. “Thirty-eight years later, this mission stands true, especially during these difficult times as we work carefully to bring Hope and Joy for the Holidays to our beloved community.”
How to get involved
There are many opportunities to participate in the 2020 GM Financial Parade of Lights:
- Enter a float. Applications are open through Oct. 16 for those interested in entering a float or other entry. Entry forms and rates are online.
- Volunteer. For those interested in volunteering in a safe, socially-distanced environment, various opportunities are available.
- Become a sponsor. As a 501c (3) nonprofit organization, DFWII seeks the support of corporate sponsors and partners to help maintain the free and high-quality production of the parade for the Fort Worth community. Many opportunities for float sponsorships and other support initiatives are available.
- Watch the parade from home. The broadcast will air on TV locally and on the Parade of Lights’ Facebook page on Nov. 22. Host a watch party at home with family and close friends, order dinner to go from one of downtown’s 50-plus restaurants and stay tuned for online engagement opportunities during the broadcast.
- Participate in the Holidays at Home float building contest. Submit a video of your own creative, built-at-home “float” for the chance to be featured in DFWII’s Holidays at Home float music video, airing during the parade broadcast (insider tip: the more lights the better).
- Visit the Downtown Showcase of Floats. View nearly 20 signature parade floats displayed throughout downtown Fort Worth from 6-8 p.m. Nov. 23-24.