VITA offers free help filing your taxes
Published on January 29, 2021
Taxpayers who make less than $60,000 per year can get help filing their returns. The VITA program also helps low- to moderate-income taxpayers claim valuable tax credits.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, or VITA for short, is an IRS-supported program. Community volunteers, certified by the IRS, help taxpayers prepare their 2020 tax returns at no cost and make sure they claim appropriate tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.
The program provides assistance online and via email through the April 15 filing deadline. Here are the steps:
- Complete the required online forms.
- Use the checklist to identify potential savings.
- Watch for a confirmation email from VITA; reply to confirm phone appointment.
- Choose one of seven curbside drop-off locations to deliver tax documents.
- Watch for completed tax return by email; review for accuracy.
- Agree to allow VITA to submit your tax return electronically; save a copy.
Taxpayers must schedule an appointment to drop off documents at one of these locations:
- MLK Community Center, 5565 Truman Drive. Site opens Feb. 2. Open 2-6 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Northside Public Library, 601 Park St. Site opens Feb. 6. Open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays.
- Opening Doors for Women In Need, 3600 Horne St. Site opens Feb. 2. Open 2-7 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Southside Community Center, 959 E. Rosedale St. Site opens Feb. 1. Open 1-5 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- GRACE, 837 E. Walnut St., Grapevine. Site opens Feb. 1. Open 2-7 p.m. Monday-Wednesday and 2-7 p.m. Friday.
- Mission Center, 901 W. Broad St., Mansfield. Site opens Feb. 4. Open 2-7 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays; and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the second Saturday of the month.
- Community Enrichment Center, 6250 N.E. Loop 820, North Richland Hills. Site opens Feb.1. Open 2-7 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays; 3-7 p.m. Thursdays; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays.
When you arrive for your appointment, remain in your vehicle. Staff will copy documents and return the originals.
For questions, email the VITA program or call 817-392-5698.