Environmental Easement Vacations

Fort Worth property owners may wish to abandon an easement. Doing so requires approval from various City departments and/or public utility companies. The City’s Property Management Department is the City’s lead on this process.

To learn more:

Real Property Easements


Step 1.Download a Application for vacation or Abandonment

Download the application(PDF, 570KB)

 View the by phone tab to learn how to schedule appointments.

Step 2.Sign Up for notifications of sales of real property online

Subscribe to Notifications Online

Forms and Directions for real property purchases

By phone

Step 1.Contact for Questions



Step 2.Scheduling an appointment

  • If the application is not related to new development project
    • please call 817-392-7590 and schedule an appointment.
    • no application will be accepted until reviewed by a real property personnel
  • If the application is related to a new development project
    • please coordinate with your project manager
    • no application will be accepted until the project manager is deemed complete

In person

Gather the documents you will need:

  • Include non-refundable fee of $300.00 made payable by cashier's check or money order
  • Metes & bounds description sealed by a Registered Professional Land Surveyor
  • Exhibit map of a convenient size, sealed by a Registered Professional Land Surveyor (The easement proposed for abandonment must be clearly labeled on the exhibit map)
  • Notarized concurrence letters from adjacent owners or all parties served by the easement (Note: the form contains space for adjacent owners’ signatures. You may use this form to obtain the signatures from all interested parties; however, the signatures must be notarized. You may attach additional sheets for notarization purposes.) If an adjacent owner holds the property in a Trust and is signed by the Trustee, or owner has designated a Power of Attorney or Attorney in Fact, then a copy of the Trust Document or Durable Power of Attorney must accompany the form. The consent forms and exhibits must be signed and notarized by ALL of the following:
    • City of Fort Worth Water Department
    • City of Fort Worth Transportation and Public Works Department
    • City of Fort Worth Environmental Services Department/Environmental Quality Division
    • Oncor Electric Delivery Company o Atmos Energy (Notary not required for Atmos Energy only)
    • AT&T o the local cable company
    • Tarrant County Health Department ETJ and Tarrant County Engineering ETJ if the property is located in the extraterritorial jurisdiction
    • Any others listed on the exhibit

Vacation -- Petitions for abandoning an easement requires approval by the various City departments and/or public utility companies having a vested interest in said easement. The City Manager or the City Manager’s designee, upon review of the case, approves the vacation by signature. No re-plat by the applicant is required. The easement abandoned is then filed in the courthouse records by the Property Management Department, Real Property Division.