Sign-up to Speak

Zoning Commission

To sign up to speak at Zoning Commission, please register through WebEx in accordance with the directions on the City’s website. This link is used to register whether you plan to participate in-person or virtually.

The sign-up link will be available Friday the afternoon prior to the scheduled Zoning Commission hearing. For questions or assistance with registration, please contact Sandra Cejas at sandra.cejas@fortworthtexas.gov or (817) 392-8047. 








City Council

You can sign up to speak at City Council meeting once the agenda is posted to the City's website on Thursday no later than two hours before the start of the meetings for both days and evening meetings.

For more information on how to appear or speak before City Council, please visit the City Secretary's Webpage.


What is Zoning?

What is Zoning?

The city promotes orderly growth and land use while protecting existing property owners by grouping together compatible development — a practice known as zoning.

Before land is developed in the city, it must be zoned and platted. Property in the city’s extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) is subject to platting only. The Zoning Commission reviews all zoning requests to provide recommendation for City Council, who will approve or deny the request. 

The Zoning regulations and districts have been adopted in accordance with a  Comprehensive Plan and have been designed to:

  • Lessen traffic congestion
  • Provide safety from fire, panic, and other dangers
  • Provide adequate light and air
  • Prevent the overcrowding of land
  • Avoid the undue concentration of population
  • Provide and facilitate adequate provisions for transportation, water, sewerage, schools, parks, and other public requirements.

Everything to know about Fort Worth Zoning in TWO MINUTES! - YouTube

The Zoning Change Process

Meet (Optional)

  • A Pre-Development conference is available to discuss all aspects of a project including, but not limited to, zoning. 


  • Submit a complete application with all required information and attachments by the deadline.



  • A public hearing is held at the Zoning Commission Hearing. The Zoning Commission only provides a recommendation to City Council.
  • City Council holds a public hearing the following month for approval or denial of the Zoning Change request.

When the City Council has denied a proposal, or when the applicant has withdrawn the proposal at the Zoning Commission meeting after the giving of public notice, no new applications of like nature shall be accepted by the City or scheduled for hearing by the Zoning Commission within a period of twelve (12) months of the date of Council denial or applicant’s withdrawal. 

Board of Adjustment | Variances

The Board of Adjustment is a citizen court appointed by the City Council to hear an

appeal and request for: Variances, Special Exceptions, and Interpretations of the Zoning Ordinance. An application may be filed by the owner of property or an authorized agent. Anyone aggrieved by an Interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance, rendered by a City Official, may appeal such decision to the Zoning Board of Adjustment.

More Information


Multi-Family Development

A multi-family development permit (MFD) is required for all multi-family projects within CR, C and D zoning districts.  The applicable zoning standards for these projects can be found in their respective zoning districts within the Zoning Ordinance. 

All Mixed Use (MU) and Urban Residential (UR) projects are exempt from this requirement. 

For application information, click on the link below.

Multi-Family District (MFD)










Zoning Check Summary


Click here to use the CFW Permit Assist Zoning Tool