Arnold Park is located in the historic Samuels Avenue neighborhood. Originally twelve houses were on the site of the park at the time of purchase. Many in Fort Worth wished to honor the memory of the city’s founder, Major Ripley Arnold. Arnold established the military outpost that became the city of Fort Worth and gave the city its name, as he named the post Fort Worth in honor of his commander in the Mexican War, General William Jenkins Worth. Arnold was buried in an unmarked grave in a cemetery just South of the park (named "Pioneers Rest" in 1909), and there was discussion to move his remains to the park but this did not happen. In 1914, the park board voted to buy the old county orphans’ home that abutted the park along Cold Springs Road to enlarge the park. Arnold Park received a tennis court and croquet grounds in 1915. In 2002 the park had updates to the playground and tennis court.
See what plants and animals have been observed at Arnold Park and help contribute to citizen science by reporting your observations by using the iNaturalist link in the sidebar.
Reserve this park on ActiveNet
1311 Homan Ave., Fort Worth 76102 View Map
1311 Homan Ave. ,
Fort Worth 76102