Mobile Food Vendor


If you operate your business in Fort Worth within Tarrant County, you will need to obtain a permit with the Tarrant County Public Health Department - not with the City of Fort Worth.

If you operate in areas of Fort Worth that are in Parker, Denton, Johnson, or Wise counties, you will still need a Fort Worth Annual Health Permit. See maps below:

North Fort Worth(PDF, 1MB)

West Fort Worth(PDF, 1MB)

For further information, please read this.(PDF, 143KB)


ATTENTION: As part of the City Council’s annual budget approval process, EFFECTIVE October 1, 2023, the following Annual Health Permit fees have increased: food establishments, child care centers, pools & spas, hotels/motels, and mobile food vendors (excluding ice cream pushcarts). The permit fees increased from $285.00 annually to $385.00 annually. Employee fees will remain at $5 per employee. Should you have questions, please call Consumer Health at 817-392-7255.


Though similar to restaurants, mobile food vendors must meet additional requirements to address potential hazards specific to mobile establishments.

Types of Mobile Vendors

  • Cook and Serve
  • Corn Roaster
  • Ice Cream Truck/Pushcart
  • Caterer
  • Open Food Pushcart
  • Snow Cone Stand/Truck
  • Wrapped or Prepared Food Truck


Violations found during the inspection are recorded as demerits and are separated into three groups. Priority Violations (3 demerits) – These violations are critical to ensuring the food served to the public is properly cooked and served in a safe and sanitary manner. Priority Foundation Violations (2 demerits) – These violations are critical to supporting the employee’s knowledge of procedures to provide safe food in a well equipped kitchen. Core Violations (1 demerit) – These violations are documented when the businesses are not maintaining their physical facilities and equipment to the minimum standards.

There is not a failing score. However, state law does indicate that when total demerits exceed 30, “the establishment shall initiate immediate corrective action on all identified critical violations and shall initiate corrective action on all other violations within 48 hours.”

It is important to remember that the scores here represent only a snapshot of the facility at the time the inspector arrived. The conditions could be better or worse while an inspector is not present.

Food Establishment Inspections

How to Get Your Mobile Vendor Permit and Vendor Certificate of Occupancy

Mobile Vendor Health Permit

Step 1.Determine what county you will operate in

  • Areas of Fort Worth that fall within Parker, Denton, Johnson, or Wise counties: please proceed to the next step.

Step 2.Contact our office

  • Contact our office to speak with an inspector at 817-392-7255. They will walk you through the process and assist you with obtaining your City of Fort Worth Health Permit.

Step 3.Provide the proper documentation

  • Submit the required documents to the Consumer Health Division to receive your Health Permit.
  • Click here to review the documents you will need to provide.

Step 4.Additional requirements for parking in one location

  • If you will be parked in one location for more than an hour, you will be required to obtain a Mobile Vendor Certificate of Occupancy. For more information, click on the corresponding tab above.


Mobile Vendor Certificate of Occupancy

If you will be parked for more than one hour at any location, you will be required to obtain a Vendor's Certificate of Occupancy.

Step 1.Determine the type of food being sold

  • The food is non-potentially hazardous (non-perishable) or potentially hazardous (perishable)
  • The Consumer Health Division will assist in that determination. 817-392-7255.

Step 2.Check the zoning district

  • Mobile food vendors may only operate in certain districts. Mobile food vendors may NOT operate within residentially zoned district.
  • Mobile food vendors that serve food that is considered non-potentially hazardous may operate in districts zoned E - Neighborhood Commercial - and higher.
  • Mobile food vendors that serve food that is considered potentially hazardous may operate in districts zone FR - General Commercial - and higher, as well as industrial districts.
  • Check on the city’s zoning map, call 817-392-8028 or email

Step 3.Apply for a Mobile Vendor Certificate of Occupancy with Development Services

Annual mobile food units fees

  • Annual Mobile Food Unit: $385
    • Per employee: $5
  • Annual Push Cart (serving open food): $385
    • Per employee: $5
  • Ice Cream Push Cart: $85
  • Seasonal Permit (15 to 180 days): $200


Food Handler Certificates (valid for two years)

Food Handler Certificates (valid for two years):

  • Classes taught at Consumer Health’s main office. $16
  • Classes taught at the facility by Consumer Health staff: $16
    No payment accepted on-site. Payment due in full at Consumer Health’s main office (price per certificate).
  • Taught by contract trainer with approved Food Handler curriculum: $12
  • Fort Worth online Food Handler class: $10