Mosque Point Park is located on the east side of Lake Worth on a projecting promontory originally known as Reynolds Point. In 1919, local Masonic lodges dedicated an elaborate meeting lodge on the site. Complete with four four-story minarets, the building became known as the Masonic Mosque. The building was acquired by the First Methodist Church shortly before it was destroyed by fire in January 1927.
As a leased site, the property remained the possession of the City of Fort Worth. A plan for its redevelopment was completed in 1930, the same year that Hare and Hare completed a master plan for the board of park commissioners. This plan provided the basis for the shelter and terrace that was constructed in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps camp assigned to Lake Worth. In fact, the Mosque Point Shelter was the first of five shelters that the CCC completed around the lake. Other improvements included a comfort station and a rock wall and steps along a path leading to the lake’s shore.
The shelter at Mosque Point burned in November 1953 under circumstances Park Superintendent Hittson described as “ʻeither an outright case of vandalism or terrible carelessness.’” In September 1954, the park board authorized the purchase of lumber to rebuild it. The shelter was burned again in the late 1980s. When it was rebuilt, the gable roof was modified to a hipped-form and covered with a metal standing seam roof. Although the park department made improvements to the site in the 1930s, Mosque Point wasn’t officially designated as a park until November 1970.
View animal, plant and insect species observed at Mosque Point Park and make some of your own observations through iNaturalist. See link under the "Related information" Section.
Reserve this park on ActiveNet
8375 Cahoba Drive, Fort Worth 76135 View Map
8375 Cahoba Drive ,
Fort Worth 76135
Mosque Point Park Hours: Open from Dawn to Dusk