Oakland Lake Park
- Electrical box
- Parking lot
- Stand Alone Swing
- Water Feature
Oakland Lake Park, located in Far East Fort Worth, had its origins as a private lake known as Fosdick Lake. Approximately 53 acres containing the lake was acquired by the city in 1927 for the sum of $23,333. The name “Oakland Lake Park” was approved by the park board in February 1928, to recognize the parks proximity to Oakland Avenue as well as the Oakland Stop on the Fort Worth-Dallas Interurban electric trolley.
In early August 1938, the department received word from Congressman Fritz Lanham that WPA funding for improvements in the park were approved. These included a stone terrace, roads, walks, stairs to the lake, installation of a water system, and plantings. Baseball diamonds and tennis courts were also to be constructed. The original plans called for the construction of a shelter house but it is believe it was never constructed. These improvements were planned by Hare and Hare.
Local architect Robert P. Woltz designed a shelter that was adjacent to the WPA terrace on the west side of the lake. The 28' x 70' native stone shelter was completed in 1953 and featured two large fireplaces, permanent picnic tables, a dance floor, and exterior and interior lights. Woltz originally estimated that the structure would cost $20,000, but by using park department labor to construct it, the estimated cost was only $10,000 of which $2,500 went for equipment. Woltz’s shelter still stands as do the stone terrace and stairs to the lake that were constructed by the WPA.
Improvements over the years have included playground renovations in 2003 with funding from the U.S. Department of Interior Urban Park and Recreation Recovery grant funds and Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Community Development Block Grant funds. Additional playground improvements were completed in 2005. The park includes 1.29 miles of multi-use trails.
View animal, plant and insect species observed at Oakland Lake Park and make some of your own observations through iNaturalist. See link under the "Related information" Section.
Reserve this park on ActiveNet
1645 Lake Shore Drive, Fort Worth 76103 View Map