Contact the Library

Email

LibraryNews@fortworthtexas.go

LIB_AdultServices@fortworthtexas.gov

  •  Youth Programs

 YouthServices@fortworthtexas.gov

  •  Local history questions:

 genlhst@fortworthtexas.gov

 

Administration

Library Director: Manya Shorr, manya.shorr@fortworthtexas.gov

Assistant Director for Operations: Marilyn Marvin, marilyn.marvin@fortworthtexas.gov
Oversees the operational support functions of the Library.

Assistant Director of Public Service: Michele Gorman, michele.gorman@fortworthtexas.gov
Responsible for general operations, customer satisfaction, employee development, and educational services and programs.

Contact Library Administration
Call 817-392-7706 or email library@fortworthtexas.gov

Media Relations

Call 817-392-7338 or email librarynews@fortworthtexas.gov

Administrative offices are located on the lower level of the Central Library, 500 W. 3rd Street, Fort Worth, TX 76102. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Library Advisory Board

Requests

History

Library History

Overview

The city’s first library began in April 1892 as an idea by 20 women, meeting at the home of Jennie Scheuber, to form the Fort Worth Public Library Association. Within one month, this association had received its state charter, but it took the association’s contacting wealthy philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for it to bring the Fort Worth Public Library and Art Museum into existence. Carnegie, who was donating building funds for libraries throughout the English-speaking world, suggested the women ask the local gentlemen for "the price of a good cigar" to help raise the necessary local supporting funds. When the City Council approved spending $4,000 per year to run the library, Carnegie contributed $50,000 for the building.

Fort Worth's first library opened in 1901. One hundred-plus years later, the Fort Worth Public Library has grown from a library with one building, five staff, a budget of around $4,000 and just under 7,000 books, to a system with 16 locations, over 220 staff, a $16.3 million dollar annual budget, and over 2 million books, DVDs, CDs, online databases, magazines, government documents, and microfiche.

The Fort Worth Public Library Foundation celebrates Mr. Carnegie's generosity each year with its annual Cigar Smoker. We celebrate his legacy every day as we continue to find new ways to provide exciting programs, collections, and other library services to the residents of Fort Worth. Here are some highlights of the Library's 100+ years.

1901 

carnegie-1901-library-history.jpg

  • The Carnegie Public Library of Fort Worth opened on October 17, 1901, at Ninth and Throckmorton streets, with Jennie Scheuber as librarian and a collection of 6,907 volumes. 

  • This building included an art gallery, establishing the close relationship between the Library and the arts in Fort Worth that continues to this day.

  • The original granite cornerstone now marks the spot of the Carnegie Public Library, which was replaced in 1939 by a new building.

1910

  • Two depository Library stations were established in local businesses in outlying areas. Books were delivered one afternoon per week.

1921

  • The first branch library opened on the Northside on the second floor of a refurbished police station with a collection of 4,000 volumes. You may recognize the building, that's now a popular Mexican restaurant on Main Street near the Stockyards.

1922

  • Library service to the county launched via the Tarrant County Free Library.

1928

  • The need for additional space had become critical. When a bond issue for a larger library failed, the library rented an annex at 209 1/2 8th Street to house part of the collection.

1936

  • A total of twenty-four depository stations had been established.

 

1939

 

central-1939-library-history.jpg

  •  A new central library to replace the original Carnegie building was dedicated with Harry N. Peterson of Yonkers, New York as the system's first professional library director. 

 

 

 

1948

bookmobile-1948-library-history.jpg

  • The new director, Joseph S. Ibbotson, was instrumental in organizing the Friends of the Library and initiating bookmobile service, which made 28 stops within the Fort Worth city limits.

 

 

 

 

1954

  • Arless Nixon became director, and branch libraries became a topic of discussion.

1962

  • The first free-standing branch, Southwest, opened in the Wedgwood area.

1964

  • Wyman Jones became the fifth director.

  • The East Branch opened in Meadowbrook.

1967

  • Five additional branches opened--North (now called Northside), Northeast (Riverside), South (Seminary South), Southeast (East Berry), and West (Ridglea).

1971

  • Mabel Fischer became the first female director since Mrs. Scheuber.

1978

central-1978-library-history.jpg

  • A new Central Library opened. Despite receiving voter approval in 1972, it was delayed by litigation until 1975. The loss of funds due to double digit inflation resulted in an underground building as the only alternative.

1981

  • Linda Allmand was hired as Director to lead the Fort Worth Public Library into the future.

1982

1984

  • Cate Dixon, Assistant Director, was hired to begin the library automation project.

1985

  • Tarrant County funding ended for the Fort Worth Public Library, and non-resident fees were established.

1986

  • Library automation project completed, featuring computerized catalog.

1987

  • The Southwest Regional Library opened.

1989

1992

  • Central Library expansion project began.

1993

1994

  • The Library entered cyberspace with the advent of Internet access on the public online catalog.

  • COOL (Cavile Outreach Opportunity Library) opened as the first satellite in a public housing community.

1995

central-1995-library-history.jpg

  • Sunday hours were restored to the Central Library. Exterior expansion of the Central Library was completed.

  • (Cavile Outreach Opportunity Library) became a permanent unit of the Library.

 

 

 

1996

  • Southwest Regional Library began Sunday hours.

  • The Library's World Wide Web homepage was launched in July.

  • East Regional Library opened on October 5. Voters approved the bond issue in 1986, but construction was delayed until 1995.

1997

  • BOLD (Butler Outreach Library Division) opened on January 25 as FWPL's second satellite library located in a public housing community.

1998

  • Cate Dixon became Interim Library Director in February while a national search was mounted for a new director.

  • The interior portion of the Central Library expansion began in May.

  • BOLD (Butler Outreach Library Division) became a permanent unit of the Library in October 1998.

  • The architect was hired for the Summerglen Library.

1999

  • Dr. Gleniece Robinson became Fort Worth Public Library's eighth director and first African-American director.

  • The finished expansion of the Central Library opened on October 22. The grand opening was followed by a weekend of festivities and entertainment sponsored by The Fort Worth Public Library Foundation.

  • Groundbreaking for the Summerglen Library was held in December.

2000

  • Tornado on March 28 did over $1 million damage to the new Central Library.

  • Summerglen Library opened on November 11.

  • The Fort Worth Public Library was recognized as one of the best public libraries of its size by the Hennen American Public Libraries study.

2001

  • The library celebrated its 100th birthday on October 17.

  • "Our Place", the Central Library's Teen Center, opened in October.

  • Services to neighborhoods established via a Community Outreach Services Unit.

  • The Library's Long Range Services Plan contract was awarded to Dubberly Associates, Inc. in December.

2002

  • Library initiates remote access to over 50 online databases.

  • Regional libraries begin 7 day a week schedule on May 3.

  • The Texas Library Association names the Library’s 100th Anniversary campaign, “The Original Search Engine” as Project of the Year. “The Original Search Engine” was a year-long publicity campaign designed to promote library services, improve resources, and celebrate Library's 100th birthday. Campaign events included library card drives, the opening of the Summerglen Library, fund-raising activities, and cultural events culminated by the first-ever Libraryfest, a day-long celebration of books, reading, and fun for the whole family.

2003

  • The Library's Long Range Service Plan was drafted.

  • Implemented automated TeleMessaging service to notify patrons of overdue materials and holds that are ready for pickup/checkout.

2004

  • Library received a $233,610 grant for promoting literacy and a love of literature through storytelling - Museums Utilizing Storytelling for Education (MUSE)

  • The Fort Worth Public Library Foundation provided $600,000 toward the cost of a new integrated library system for the Library.

2005

  • The Northside Library parking lot project was completed in March.

  • East Berry Library renovation and remodeling was completed in May.

  • Over 530 public and staff computers, most of which were over 6 years old, were replaced with new, leased systems.

  • The new integrated library system, HORIZON, was launched July 7.

  • The Northside renovation and remodeling was completed in December.

2006

  • The Fort Worth Public Library Foundation provided $250,000 matching funds for new library materials as part of its Great Cities Have Great Libraries campaign.

  • Seminary Library renovation and remodeling was completed in May.

  • EnvisionWare PC reservation and print management system was installed in all libraries.

2007

  • A designated video gaming room for teens opened at Central Library in October, offering Xbox 360 games.

  • Riverside Library received a makeover, including an expanded children’s area, provided by the Idearc Media-American Library Association Reading Renovation Volunteer Project.

  • Wi-Fi internet service became available to patrons at Central Library.

2008

library-logo-2008-library-history.jpg

  • The Ella Mae Shamblee Library opened in June as part of the Evans and Rosedale Business and Cultural District revitalization.

  • In conjunction with the Ella Mae Shamblee Library opening, the Library unveiled its new logo and announced a rebranding as the Fort Worth Library, not the Fort Worth Public Library. This was made possible by The Fort Worth Public Library Foundation through a generous grant from the Gregory A. & Laura E. Bird Foundation.

2009

  •  In April, groundbreaking for the new Northwest Library began. 

  • The Fort Worth Public Library Foundation receives a generous bequest from the estate of Hazel Harvey Peace to support the Hazel Harvey Peace Youth Center at the Central Library.

  • Renovations to the Central Library’s Gallery (the “Living Room of the City”) are completed. The Fort Worth Public Library Foundation contributed $625,000 for improvements and furnishings.

2010

  • The library launched the 3rd Thursday Jazz Series.

  • In October, the prairie-style Northwest Library opened at the corner of Crystal Lake and Cromwell-Marine Creek Rd.

  • The library began work on a new master plan called the 20/20 Vision.

2011 

2020-vision-logo-2010-library-history.jpg

  • The Meadowbrook Library reopened as the eSkills Library and Job Center, offering classes and resources to those searching for employment. 

  • COOL (Cavile Outreach Opportunity Library) closed for renovations.

  • The library's new master plan, 20/20 Vision, was approved by the City Council.

2012

cool-2012-library-history.jpg

  •  COOL (Cavile Outreach Opportunity Library) reopened.

 

 

 

2013

  • Worth Reading, the library’s signature literacy and education initiative, was launched in the spring. Worth Reading expanded and enhanced the library’s traditional summer reading program by combining quality programs, activities and workshops with incentives for people to read, listen and learn. This program ended in 2018.

  • As part of the library’s 10-year system master plan, 20/20 Vision, the Ridglea Library was renovated. It was the first time major improvements had been made to the facility since it opened in 1967.

  • FWL Mobile, the library’s first app, was made available to the public.

2014

  • The Teen Center at the Central Library moved upstairs into a larger space that is dedicated to teens.

  • The Movie Shop at the Central Library opens. The shop was stocked with hundreds of new and popular movies available only in the Movie Shop and cannot be placed on hold, reserved for customers or transferred to other libraries. Since the titles weren't in the online catalog,customers could visit the store to see what’s on the shelves and find out if it’s their lucky day.

  • The Discovery Theatre at the Central Library was renovated and the Fast Track to Reading area was created. Both projects were supported by the Sid W. Richardson Foundation and Speedway Children’s Charities.

  • Voters approved a bond package for two new libraries - one in far north Fort Worth and one in the east side of Fort Worth.

2015

  • The new integrated library system, Polaris, was launched.

  • The Diamond Hill/Jarvis Library received updates to the interior.

  • Land was purchased for the two new libraries approved in the previous year's bond election.

2016

  • Planning began for the new library in the far north area of Fort Worth. Citizens chose the name of the new library - Golden Triangle Library.

2017

  • The groundbreaking was held for the Golden Triangle Library in the far north area of Fort Worth.

  • Manya Shorr became Fort Worth Public Library's ninth director.

2018

  • Construction began on the Golden Triangle Library in the far north area of Fort Worth.

  • Four locations - Riverside, Diamond Hill/Jarvis, Southwest and East Regional - received flooring improvements.

  • The design phase began for the new location on the east side of Fort Worth.

  • The bond passed for a new library to be built in the southwest part of the city.

  • The Library unveiled its new Fort Worth Public Library logo.

2019

  • Fort Worth Public Library launched its new strategic plan for 2019 - 2021 along with the "Learn. Dream. Do." campaign.

  • The Cambridge Court location opened.  

2020 

  • The community voted to rename the eSkills Library and Job Center as the Meadowbrook Library. golden-triangel-library.jpg 

  • The Golden Triangle Library opened in August.

  • The Library launched curbside services at all locations.

 

Department Head

Manya Shorr

Library Director

Manya Shorr was named the Director of the Fort Worth Public Library in 2017. Prior to joining the Fort Worth Public Library Manya served in different library leadership positions across the country from Oregon, California, and Nebraska to Washington, D.C.

She is passionate about the positive impact libraries have on individuals, families, and communities.

There are a variety of opportunities for you to become involved and support your library.

 

Local History Materials

Please see the Donating section of the Library's Genealogy, History, and Archives page for information about donating local history or archival materials.

Memorials and Honorariums

The Fort Worth Library encourages monetary donations for the purchase of materials for memorials and honorariums.

For a contribution of $25.00 or more, a book, ebook, audio visual or other digital item will be selected and a bookplate (if applicable), inscribed with the name of the person being remembered and the name of the presenter, will be attached to the item. The presenter may request a specific subject matter, preferably in very general areas such as gardening, history, etc.

The Library will acknowledge the receipt of memorials and honorariums by sending a letter to the donor and a letter to family members or friends of the person being remembered or honored.

Checks should be made payable to Fort Worth Public Library and mailed to:

Administrative Services Manager
Fort Worth Library
500 W. 3rd St.
Fort Worth Texas 76102-7305

Please enclose names and addresses of persons to be notified.

The Fort Worth Library's memorial brick program is no longer active. If you have a question about the location of a brick purchased in the past please contact the Central Library at 817-392-7701. When calling, please have as much information as possible in hand regarding the memorial donation.

Other Financial Donations

The Fort Worth Library welcomes monetary donations even if they are not for the purpose of memorials and honorariums.

Checks should be made payable to Fort Worth Library and mailed to:

Acquisitions Supervisor
Fort Worth Library
500 W. 3rd St.
Fort Worth Texas 76102-7305

You may also make a financial donation directly to the Friends of the Fort Worth Public Library, Inc., or to The Fort Worth Public Library Foundation.